Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mike Goes To A Steakhouse

Last night I went to BLTSteak for dinner, armed with a $250 gift certificate for my birthday that Heather gave me. I left with mixed emotions.

The oysters were jamming. I love any kind of seafood, especially the variety that has a lot of legs/appendages and/or has a carapice/shell. I really can't stress that enough - I love anything edible that comes from the sea, be it crab, fish, or sponge. I have no actual experience eating real sponge, but I imagine I would enjoy it as I could pretend I was eating SpongeBob Squarepants and crushing the dreams of trillions of children (and developmently delayed adults). Back to the oysters - they were jamming. Fresh, salty, tasty... everything an oyster should be.

With the oysters I had two Pomegranate Smashes, which were basically kool-aid with a dash of vodka. Slightly disappointing.

Next came the steak, which was a revelation for me: I don't like steak. I mean, I don't HATE it, but.. I don't LOVE it. I had a medium rare filet and it was good, don't get me wrong, but it was just like.. this is it? I had it with peppercorn sauce, which helped, but I mean.. at the end of the day.. I just paid $41 for 12 ozs of steak... and it tasted good and all, but really, I just don't like steak that much and I think in general I just don't like things that are meant to just sit there and be consumed without any real preparation. I bet I could eventually learn how to cook a steak and for me, thats not real cookery. It's like art (not Art) - if I think I could eventually paint or sculpt something, then it can't be real art. Same goes for cookerying - if I could make it, its not real food.

The sides were good, but when you pay $9 for potato gratin at a steakhouse, I was sorta expecting a couple potatoes worth of gratin.. and all we got was like 6 thin sliced potatoes in gratinesey sauce. Woopty doo.

The dessert was awesome -- apple cobbler with bourbon ice cream. I'm a huge fan of pie/ice cream combinations and an ice cream that involved liquor was A-OK with me.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with all this. Basically, I think I've decided that I'm not a big fan of steakhouses.. although maybe next time I'll get something other than the steak.

This is my pathetic blog of the day. This is Mike, signing off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home